Content type 'bla-bla' not found in web

This was the error I was receiving after a restore from MOSS 2007 Standard to MOSS 2007 Enterprise

It seems that MOSS is still a bit buggy as I often run across random errors that have no place happening.  I ran into this error when I was migrating a Site Collection from Standard to Enterprise.  All of the other collections went off without a hitch, but this one was giving me problems from the start.  First I want to explain what I think was causing this.  Site Collection B (SCB from here on out) was at a root level on the old farm; it had it's own url and was it's own stand-alone 'portal'.  Now when I migrated, I needed to move SCB under a root collection SCA.  I have done this before, but never run in to any problems, but this was different for some reason?

 

I did my restore with the stsadm command line tool and it cheerfully told me that the 'Operation completed successfully', so I tried to go to the site, but what do I see:

Error

File Not Found.

Damnit... but the site rendered, so I did some checking around.  Everything else on the site seemed to work, if I typed in any other url under that site root, I could get there.  I could get to site settings, to create site, anything, but the main page was bunked out.  I went back to the old version and saw that that page was pretty customized, not to mention not being default.aspx but some odd name that the admins came up with.  So, on a whim, i made a totally blank welcome page (default.aspx) and backed it up, restored, and boom... everything worked.  Not exactly sure why the other page wasn't working, but that is water under the bridge as far as I am concerned, re-making a single page isn't all that tough... sorry users!

 

Now I figure, as long as they can re-make a page, no big deal right?  So I click on Site Actions -> New Page and I get this beauty:

Error

Content type '0x01010007FF3E057FA8AB4AA42FCB67B453FFC100E214EEE741181F4E9F7ACC43278EE811' not found in web

Now after countless searched on the internet I turn up basically nothing, TechNet is dry, and no one seems to have had this error (not a first for me sadly).  I ask a desperation post on Experts-Exchange and run through the drills.  Checking my xml config files, looking at error logs, etc.  Then the guy helping me suggests I try something simple... run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on all the machines.  Surely it can't be that simple after I bashed my head into the wall for over 24 hours?!

 

It was; just run SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on all your machines and this will go away.  Would that have been so hard to include in the Error message?  Would it?

Comments (10) -

  • OMG!!! It works!!! I don't know how long I've been searching and trying to get this to work. Found some posts but nothing works, until now! Just run the wizard! For me the wizard is now something like "did you try to reboot your system"... Laughing

    Thanks alot!!

    Bob
  • I know, it's so simple it pissed me off when I figured out and looked at how much time I had wasted  Tong
  • Jay
    Oh man, I am so glad I found this page.  I was getting ready to chuck our Sharepoint server right out the window.
  • THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH!! Unbelievable!!
  • Thank you! Thank you!
  • Sam
    Amazing, this worked for me too!
  • It also solved the following problem - thanks!

    CreateVariationHierarchiesLro.CreateVariationHierarchies catches SPException : Content type '0x01010007FF3E057FA8AB4AA42FCB67B453FFC100E214EEE741181F4E9F7ACC43278EE811' not found in web 'http://intranet-dev'.
  • Thank you...
    This is saved my day..
    Thank you very much!!!!!!!!
  • Sam
    Thank you so much for sharing! This fixed the problem.
  • You just saved me from a real headache. Thanks!

Add comment

Loading